Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ego, Part Dos- Oh so Juicy xD

So many critics have stated my second blog did not hold enough of my own opinion. And that was so because I was also told that my first blog was too long. x) So as not leave my readers unsatisfied-I give you part Dos.

The self for me is a contradiction and an unexplained phenomena. We know we exist- because we have parts of ourselves that we can not explain to others- and that people can't willfully see. As much as we are so interconnected to one another we are that much separated(if not more at times).

The self starts at birth- you are born into a body that is no longer physically connected to a mother. Eventually the brain begins to separate itself from the environment and others around it. Part of me truly feels the environment has almost a determining effect on people- but another part of me denies this. Denies because the individual cannot be known before they show them-self. For instance- two siblings can have the same parents(very similar DNA) and the same environment(they grow up side by side) But- as adults they are night and day, so different they cannot begin to comprehend one another. This to me must be product of the self. People do have separate existences that makes them unique in how they experience the world, how they process information, and how they decide to react to the world.

Two friends and I discussed yesterday the changing self. When people change so much from year to year or even day to day- all physically, mentally, emotionally, at what point does this person become someone new? Do we simply call people by the same name for convenience? Is there an essential part of us that stays the same? Is it the self that decides to change or is it people and environment that inspire in us a change?

At any given point we may meet people who dramatically change us- for better or worse. Without these individuals maybe these changes may have never happened. Maybe that affecting individual would have been replaced by someone very similar to them who created the same changes within us. But because they are the individuals who did effect us- how are we connected to them now? and would we otherwise be who we are now?

The self to me is the denial of the vital connection that feeds everyday life, and it is the quiet you only experience as you sit alone in silence. That feeling that you are alone and its scary, or you are alone and the world as the giant other is beautiful and not yours- not you. I love life. I love me and its difficult for me to think of myself without others who have changed me oh so much. Sometimes I feel like these are only questions for God: Why me? Why do we exist so separate? How the hell did you create all this?

Speaking of God. There's the whole other topic of how are god and self connected? Is it outside of us? in the environment? in the heavens(where ever those might be)? I truly believe god lives within us. And while we can feel utterly alone- god is there maybe feeling alone too. Ego technically is a soft scientific topic and now that I have drifted in to the metaphysical I will wrap it up. x)

I hope this is satisfying to my beautiful critics. I don't have a concrete opinion because the topic is so large. These are simply the thoughts that come out when I think of Ego.

MAS! x)

2 comments:

  1. Man, I don't know how to respond to this without making almost a whole blog post for you. So I'll just say this. I like it. A lot.
    Perhaps this could be a good format for you. Write a critical blog on whichever subject you have in mind, then an opinionated one. Just a thought :)

    Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had run across this blog, or if this topic had come up in conversation even a few months ago I would have told you that people are who they are independent of others. Now I feel that there is a private and public self that are removed from one another. Both are vital and both are you. I cannot exist as myself without people to react off of, and I would not be that person who says those things in conversation with others without being the self I am in private. The question of who is the real me, while vexing, is trivial. I am always me, in every situation, whatever I do. The better question in, So who comes first?

    Am I myself out of the womb? Am I myself after 6 years, 10 years, 20 years? How much has the world affected me and where do I begin and where do I end? This is a parallel question to who we are when we are with others and who we are alone. It's a codependent relationship. I have something (my personality let's say) that I was brought into the world with. I have certain dispositions and moods. As I interact with the world I am shaped by it, but there is some buffer that keeps me from becoming the world.

    Any further thought on the topic sends me into a bad mood. Thank you, metaphysics.

    ReplyDelete