Thursday, November 17, 2011

Altruism meets Love (part one)

SO through conversation with loved ones recently- I am now blogging about ALTRUISM!!!!! (and the crowd goes wiiiyyyyllllld, ROAAAARRR!!!) XD And how its mysterious and how love and altruism playing out in real life looks strange. X)

Altruism- the act of giving selflessly for others without the benefit to self(not for ulterior motives). Duty is the moral obligation to something because this is right(b/c God says so or the social norm says so) and Loyalty can be distinguished as a separate role in emotions one might feel for government/family/yadda yadda-blah blah.

So enough with definitions! Altruism to me is the highest form of ideals(that despite some objection XD) I believed can be reached- and should be aimed for by the masses. Yes I know this is a big goal- I am not giving you my plan of action in this blog- I am giving you my mind. Suck it up.

People in their relationships whether they be deep or shallow or anywhere between- give and take. The metaphor I envision is each of us is an individual water well. We have reserves- maybe not equal in reserve, but all in the same way we have and when we interact we exchange with others those reserves.

Altruism is my way of life- I think I have posted before it's the reason I live. Many people I know don't even begin to comprehend what I mean when I say this, but I will try to explain in such a way that makes sense. I as a person experience life. As previously explained what we get from this experience is the ego- right? The individual- different from everyone else, the other. And I have questioned the individual outside of the whole- who are we without the others in our lives??? But all I can exclaim is- there is no you- with out "the other". Without other people filling your life- what are you? I can say I wouldn't want to live alone with no other human near me (granted I don't know what I have yet/never have experienced). But to me it is not what others give me that make me feel like serving others matters. It's that other people just matter in themselves. Helping others might have consequences that are good- but I feel if you go into situations pretending to give- only later to take- that's just fucked up. Yes I said it. You don't lend someone money now so that someone is obligated to give to you later. (some people do this- but that's not altruism-and I think it makes for pretty shitty relationships)

This altruism some say makes my life matter or makes me feel good. While these are side effects of consequences, there is a difference between my action- my intention- and the result of those actions.
The best way I can explain this is to give a real life example: (from life this isn't typical- maybe bc altruistic love is hard to come by but I have seen it) And it just felt so right. . . lol

In a romantic relationship two people show altruistic love and respect for one another by respecting what makes the other a happy, healthy, autonomous individual. Despite opposing feelings and examples- in a altruistic loving relationship we could care so much about the other that we could walk away from them- leave them to follow a life that they most want- even if that life is not you. To care so much about someone that you can do that for them. Obviously the other side of this relationship would consist in your whole life not being surrounded by someone else, but obviously deeply enriched by them. And while a big part of your life would be gone and you would be devastated to see them go- you'd be happy for them.

While love like relationships today view one side of this getting the short end of the stick, I truly feel two individuals who can do this for one another fulfill the other in never putting them in a conditional love situation. This is unconditional love. I love you always- no matter where you go- not matter what you do- despite how you are related to me- I love you- in all of you- forever and ever. Amen.

So yeah. I guess after giving the example a lot of people just don't get this. All I can say is my definition comes from youth- watching mistakes of others- and seeing examples that work. But its the way I feel we must love one another. Whether that be in friendships, romantic relationships, or small interactions with others.

I feel a part two coming- between the B12 flush burning my legs and my completely distracting companions- this is probably ADD and not exactly clear. So eat it up XD PART ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIIYAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

MASSSSSSS

1 comment:

  1. Great blog :) Once a metaphor occurred to me for relationships like you're describing involving binary systems... 2 stars orbiting around each other (technically a mutual center of mass but that's not important)...

    I never really questioned altruism until I read Seawolf (Lit of the Sea) but actually I think game theory (prisonr's dilemma) helped me get over this hump. One more good thing I read was Daniel Quinn's blurb about Into the Wild on his suggested reading list...

    Really, really great blog
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete